F01-a Pilot Program for an Advanced Scope of Practice Nurse in Triage
The purpose of this pilot program was to enhance quality care of patients by implementing an innovative role of an advanced scope of practice nurse in triage to decrease patient wait times, reduce stress levels, and thereby increasing patient, nurse and physician satisfaction.
By the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
1. Identify if there is a need for an advanced scope of practice nurse in triage within your program.
2. Reflect on satisfaction levels of patients and staff in order to determine if this initiative would be beneficial to your program.
3. Discuss how this initiative may be implemented within your facility.
Leigh Andrews, RN, MN, PNC(C), CTDP, APN, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
F01-b Developing a Nurse-Led Simulation Training Program on a Postpartum Unit: It Can Be Done!
The purpose of this presentation is to describe the steps taken to develop a sustainable, nurse-led program of conducting simulations on a postpartum unit. A central theme of this presentation involves the benefits of empowering nurses and tapping into their wealth of knowledge.
Following this session, participants will be able to:
1. Identify strategies to promote a sustainable nurse- led simulation program for perinatal health and healing.
2. Explain the benefits of empowering staff nurses in developing simulation-based training.
3. Describe how simulations can be caring, relational learning activities.
Tracey Ruckenstein-Share, RN, IBCLC, NRP, Instructor, Nurse, St. Mary's Hospital, Montreal, QC, Canada