D04-a British Columbia Institute of Technology Specialty Nursing Clinical Teacher Pathway
To present the Specialty Nursing Clinical Teacher Pathway developed by faculty at the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).
Following the session, participants will be able to:
1. Understand how the pathway supports clinical teachers to foster learners’ development in clinical practice to further bridge the gap between theory and practice.
2. Identify the multi-leveled teacher pathway as a consistent means for perinatal clinical teachers to develop evidence-based clinical teaching knowledge and skills.
3. Describe evidence informed teaching strategies clinical teachers learn at each level of the pathway to promote excellence in clinical teaching.
Farah Jetha, BSN, MSN, Faculty, BCIT, Burnaby, BC, Canada
D04-b An Integrative Review of the Role, Challenges, and Facilitators of Hospital-Based Clinical Nurse Educators in Labour and Delivery Units
To share findings from an integrative review of the role, challenges and facilitators of hospital-based Clinical Nurse Educators, in order to help guide the betterment of this pivotal role in nursing.
Following this presentation, audience members will be able to:
1. Describe the effect role ambiguity has had on hospital-based Clinical Nurse Educators in the enactment of their role.
2. Identify the challenges faced by Clinical Nurse Educators as a result of this role ambiguity.
3. Identify facilitators able to address some of these challenges as well as suggestions for future research.
Michaela Popa, RN, BSN, MSN, Registered Nurse, Labour and Delivery, BC Woman’s Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada